Thursday, April 24, 2014

Mr. Rogers

A few weeks ago, Bears walked up to me wearing a button-up shirt with slacks, a tie, and an inside-out pajama jacket and informed me that he was Mr. Rogers. He continues to spend the majority of his time dressing up and I've got to admit, this particular costume is the most endearing of them all to me. Instead of reading stories before his nap today, he wanted to show me how Mr Rogers changes from his fancy suit coat and fancy shoes into his casual sweater and slip-on shoes. After taking off his suit coat (a jacket I got back in high school), he carefully hung it up and put his fancy shoes directly underneath in the closet. The intensity of his concentration was matched by the pride he clearly felt in being able to do this all by himself. He then took his inside-out pajama top of the hanger and put it on in a fastidious way, making sure everything looked perfect, before slipping on his casual shoes. After examining the getup critically in the mirror and finding it acceptable, he decided that it was time to get back into the fancy stuff again. As he was buttoning up his "suit coat," he looked at me with worried eyes and asked if Mr Rogers could have more than one button on his coat and was very relieved when I told him yes.

Here he is, just about ready:

Annd panicking because he's just realized that it's all just a farce without a tie:

Much better. Bonus, this outfit seems to double for Harry Potter as well. I'm sure that'll come in handy when he's a bit older.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad the next generation (Bears) is keeping Mr. Rogers alive. I love this show, it's slow pace, and the obvious love Mr. Rogers has for kids...it's what they need (and Moms, too). Bears, you're doing a great service...keep up the good work!!
    Love, Diddum

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is precious, because of course I grew up with Mr. Rogers. I had to go to Florida recently to discover Mr. Rogers lives on in episodes of Daniel Tiger. The lessons are every bit as sweet as the originals, but just in cartoon form.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...