Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Our Little Cudger Muffin Curmudgeon

Realistically, this blog is pretty much gonna revolve around that baby man pictured above. Lil Baldy McGurglePants. And before you go assuming that I call my baby derogatory names all the time, let me assure you that he's very proud of both his hairline and especially of the copious messes he can make in his pants. He'll be 2 months in just under a week and I guess I should go over some of the highlights thus far. He was born in the Mt Timpanogus hospital at 8:30 pm 4/13/2010 and was 7 pounds 13 ounces and 20 inches long. He was jaundiced and as a result was too tired to eat much...and eating a whole bunch in the best way to get rid of jaundice so that was a bit of a problem. Another thing that helps is sun exposure so we focused on that route.




I kept worrying that he'd get sunburned because I foolishly assumed that his skin was similarly susceptible to the sun like mine is. Luckily, Ryan's genetics came through like a champ and although Locke's only 1/4 hispanic, he could pass for full blown. It turns out I was the only person getting burned while we were out sunning him. All that laying out in the sun sure tuckered him out though...here he is all conked out after a 30 min session.

Oh and it turns out that nursing is no breeze. Well...not for some people anyways. We went through over a month of him not really wanting or not being able to nurse and having to pump every time I nursed then give it to him in the bottle (luckily my friend Alexis loaned me her super fancy electric pump. it was a total lifesaver), cracked/bleeding boobs, getting mastitis at least once a week -- my mom's an expert on it though and I was always able to fix it early with her help before it became a problem -- clogged ducts...the list goes on. But finally. Finally it seems to have paid off. We're both getting a handle on it and I'm starting to see first hand how nice nursing can be. Phew. So far I'd say it was totally worth it.

Hmm...let's see. The little man is usually pretty furious unless he's out on walks, as is illustrated here with his grandpa:


lol I just realized that he doesn't look super pumped in that picture but trust me, he was.

When he's inside, he's usually got this perpetually traumatized look on his face, it's pretty hilarious.


So basically, we go for lots of walks. Which is totally fine by me. While I was pregnant with him, I researched all the baby carriers online till I found the one that would work best, hoping that I'd be out and about walking or hiking with him every day. So I'm pretty excited that he seems to love the outdoors so far.


Both of his grandmas and grandpas love spoiling him and are always making sure he has EVERYTHING that a baby's supposed to have or could ever maybe possibly want. This boy is certainly not gonna go without, that's for sure. I took some cute pictures of Ryan's parents cuddling the little tyke but I can't seem to find them...maybe they're on their camera? I'll have to investigate but in the meantime, here he is with grandma Anderson.



And with Daddy
And here he's modeling the shirt that grandma and grandpa Elkins got him.



...and here's him just looking like a stud...


Oh and the latest news is that he's started smiling pretty regularly. His first smile was around 5 weeks but they've been pretty sparse up until a little over a week ago. He's a very particular young man and it can be tricky to figure out just what it is that he wants, but when you can make him happy, it's totally worth it.


11 comments:

  1. Oh, this is just excellent. I'm very excited that you're blogging. Maybe you should blog your birth story. So you can have and hold your memories of your 42 hour labor for ever and ever. Is this going to be one of those super anonymous blogs where the author posts lots of pictures but never of herself? Yep, those smiles are worth every minute of acting like a fool to earn. Fo sho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The birth is actually the next thing I was planning on posting. As soon as I can figure out how to put the footage we've got onto one video anyways. lol yeah, chemicals seemed as applicable as anything else on the list of options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cant believe he is almost 2 months. He has already changed so much since his newborn pics. Im glad nursing is going better for the two of you. So sad I dont know when I will meet the little man in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the heart of Camelot, not these stones, not these timbers, these palaces and towers. Burn them all and Camelot lives on, because it lives in us. Camelot is a belief that we hold in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you think i put so high a price on my feelings? feelings live for a moment and then the moment passes. My will holds me steady to my course through life!!@wtf??@$brb

    ReplyDelete
  6. His Grandpa Anderson says, "he's a very handsome young son."
    I think he's devastatingly handsome in the "Grandpa is the best" shirt. But the cartoon is the most awesome post yet... I can't decide who's imitating who in the Locke/Ryan pic.
    Thanks, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing li'l stud-muffin! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all the pics! Ohhhh, I miss that little man. I wanna see him again. Oh, and what carrier did you end up getting? I'm thinking of going on walks with Ryker to get in more shape.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just thinking that it was about time to plan another lunch date. We need to get on that. Oh but his carrier is called the Belle Carrier and it retails for like $90-$130 depending on the type you want I think but I got one new off of ebay for $35 so if you've got the time to hang around looking for a good deal, I'd recommend that route. Otherwise, I think walmart online has the best deals on them. I'd say it's definitely better than the Bjorn as far as front carriers since it distributes lots of the weight to your hips but Ryker's getting so big now that you might wanna look into backpacks since those are even easier on your back. You should still be able to carry him confortable in the Belle as long as you don't go over an hour I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the info, Laura! Yeah...I think you're right. I should look into the baby backpacks. Man...I'm so jealous of yours & Tess' hikes with your little cuties. Plus, I've got a couple other friends who go on hikes regularly as well. I need to get with the program and find a backpack so me and Buggleworth can start hiking too!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well you guys are always welcome to join us whenever you want. I love hiking with the babies so much...lol last time, Locke pooped himself halfway through the hike and I didn't have a change of clothes (one of the bad things about the belle carrier - no pockets) so he just had to hang out with poop drizzling down his leg for like an hour or so but he was a trooper about it and didn't seem to mind much. Anyway, yeah. It just occurred to me that I've got a backpack that he won't be able to use for at least 6 more weeks so you're welcome to that one in the meantime. It's supposed to be one of the really good ones for women because it's super lightweight. Let me know if you'd like to borrow it, that way you could let me know how it works and it might give you a better idea of what you'd wanna buy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...